Monday, December 1, 2008

Freelance Blog Contributor-Alice Vienneau

Roma. Gorgeous. Alice and Chick spent Friday afternoon and Saturday exploring some of the city's highlights while poor, lame Mama chilled in the odd little room at Hotel Orange. Details of those adventures, later. Included here are notes on Alice's final hours on Italian soil, entitled:
ROME ALONE
Starring: McAli Sulkin'


So...having just been abandoned by her family, Ali is left alone in a foreign country with precious few Euros and only a handful of working braincells. Armed with her map, her umbrella and a tube of chap-stick, Ali headed back over the river in search of...old stuff...I mean, REALLY OLD STUFF.

I followed the river because it was easy but also beautiful. Rained on and off, with a carpet of hubungous maple leaves-big as...giant fans. Don't think I've seen any so huge in the U.S. I finally cut in to look at some of the ruins. They are enclosed in a tall fence-sometimes open rails, sometimes a wall. At spots, it looks as if archaeologists are still digging there-set up with scaffolding and other such equipment. I guess I figured they'd be FINISHED by now. In the park across the way, several separate groups of folks stood in groups hearing mass...ya know, just standing there in the clearing. Cool. I walked clear around the whole area, having decided it wouldn't be prudent to pay and go inside. But look, there is the Coliseum, there is Constantine's Arch, and my camera lens is not big enough to take in the entire Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. (Seriously, EVERYTHING in this city is ginormous. Sorry about your penises, Romans!)

Note: I know from exploring by myself. I've done plenty of it, and really dig it...however, after a week of having my loved-ones about me, I was not-at first-interested in looking at Rome alone. I have so enjoyed this trip. Not just basking in the wonder of each new vista, but relishing the wonder registered on the faces of my mother, sisters and brother.

Ah, stress! What to do about it??? Spend Euros, you say? Ah, Si! Guess I'll buy myself lunch and spend my last e45 on a taxi to the airport. Who needs stuff? A nice lady named Senorina VISA offered to pay for my meal...Hmmmm, Visa...that's a pretty word...

I found an outdoor table on the Piazza Navola. Pizza Margherita, vino rosso, aqua con gas, seranaded by a classical gutarist who looks like Howard Stern. Lovely.

How many pair of leather boots have I wanted to snatch off women this weekend? A lot, that's how many.

Stay tuned for the saga of my flight home. Who knew there would be drama? Yipes. I will share the moral to that story right up front: Trust yourself. Do NOT, repeat- do NOT listen to Americans about ANYTHING in a foreign country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are funny as hell, Auntie Ali! Thanks for your guest post!